Romance is what keeps our marriage fresh and exciting. After 30 years together, Bill and I remain devoted to each other and more in love today than ever. Our secret? We are best friends with a mutual respect for each other. We are not marriage experts by any means, but through all the growing pains, having babies and the heartache of losing loved ones, one has always been a source of support for the other.
With each brick that life has thrown at us, it has only created a deeper and richer foundation for our love to grown on. He would be the understanding and supportive one and I would be a listening ear at the end of a long day.
Here are a few ways that we keep our love fresh:
- Saying the words "I love you" or "you are beautiful". I can count in one hand how many days over these past 30 years that Bill hasn't said that he loves me or that he thinks I am beautiful. It's amazing what a few meaningful words can do to lift your spirit, especially through those tough days.
- Morning coffee. We have made a habit of having our morning coffee together just to enjoy each others company and conversation. I look forward to it so much.
- Bringing home the favorites. Whether it's a Zero chocolate bar or in my eyes, a freshly baked bear claw, we both love to buy each others favorites while at the store. When you know the other person took the extra mile to make your day a little brighter, your love is a little renewed.
- Trying out each others interests. Bill has a loyalty to the Cleveland Browns. Although football is not really my sport, I usually ask how they are doing and at least pretend that I know what he is talking about when he explains the scenario. I know for a fact that Bill doesn't really like taking photos for my blog, but he does it because he knows it's important to me. In the photos above, he stepped out of his comfort zone and took photos with me. I appreciate his great sense of style.
- Be his Fantasy girl. I have fun playing dress up. Oh, get your mind out of the gutter...I don't mean that in a naughty way. I love experimenting with clothes and accessories. I know that Bill loves the art of tattoos and the pin-up girl is pretty popular in the tat world. So for our Sunday brunch date, I surprised Bill in this flirty "pin-up" style dress that he bought for me on our last trip to New Orleans. We stepped out in our stylish duds and enjoyed a nice brunch, and most importantly...Bill's eyes were just on me.
Are we relationship experts? Oh gosh, no. Only sharing with you what we've learned along this great adventure!
Shop similar romantic styles here: